Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:58:58 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network monitoring program.

Hi,

> I need to monitor the network traffic from specific IP addresses.
> I need to be able to deduce the applications that are running
> that are generating the traffic.

Unless you have full acess to the machine with that specific IP, you
will never be able to do more than guessing what are the application
generating the traffic: let say you are on a router smowhere on your
network and you are interested by the traffic generated by some client
accessing Internet, if you see traffic on TCP 80, maybe it i Internet
Explorer, maybe Firefox, but it coul dalso be an anti-virus that uses
port 80 to update the virus definition. And if you have very strict
network usage policy on your network and you are blocking everything
except port 80, it could even be Emule on top of port 80.

Olivier