Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:18:24 +0100
From:      Roy Oestensen <royoest@alfanett.no>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD.org for the first time

Greetings,

I regretably do not have access to any news server from home. My ISP did
have an agreement in the past, but this has apparently been cancelled. So
if you have any suggestion of how to access one through the web, I would
appreciate it.

I have read through the installation documentation online, but still have a
few concerns, as I am quite new to FreeBSD. I have only tried Windows and
Linux. I understand that FreeBSD should be installed on a primary
partition. Now DOS is not fond of having more than one active primary
partition, so I am a little concerned how to go around the installation so
as not to upset the rest of my setup.

Currently my setup is as follows:

Disk 1: 1st partition: Primary FAT16 partition (bootable)
	Rest of disk: Extended partition which is partitioned into some 4-5
logical partitions. I have 7 GB free space in the extended partition which
I can make into a primary partition with PartitionMagic 7.0
Disk 2: 1st partition: Primary FAT32 partition used for Win98
	Rest of disk: Extended partition. The first 2 logical partitions: Linux
ext + linux swap
			Last logical partition: used for Win98 games.

As I have never used FreeBSD, but would like to try it out, I'd like to use
the free space without touching the rest of the setup. Currently I have set
it up so that Win2k's boot loader is used to load the different OS's (Win2k
on hda5, Win98 on hdc1, and Linux on hdc5 if I remember the Linux partition
numbering scheme correctly. I had plans of having FreeBSD on hda6, but I
will perhaps have to have it on hda2 instead? (If so, I'd make sure to edit
boot.ini so that I still can load Win2k!)

Any help would be appreciated, as I would prefer not to do anything wrong here.

Roy