Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 00:32:17 +0000
From:      "Seamus Roche" <seamusjr@hotmail.com>
To:        gar@askgar.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What Version (GNOME - gnomeprint034, bonobo018)

Hi Gary,

I am new to FreeBSD too.  I just upgraded from 4.3 STABLE to 4.5 STABLE this
past week and yesterday successfully installed GNOME and Enlightenment.

However I used Annelise Anderson's FreeBSD An Open Source Operating System
For Your Personal Computer, which has very good directions about which
packages to add for GNOME to work. Also, since I am stuck with only a dial
up at the moment, I used the FreeBSD 4.5 CD set from bsdmall.  This has one
CD with the Installation another for the fixit and two more with additional
packages.  It was on these discs that I found the packages for configuring
the GNOME.

This is not the way for everyone I understand and in the future I plan to
config packages and ports from the internet, but for like $60 both the book
and the CDs I'm sure have saved me some hours.  You might want to check them
out.

Next I get to configure fbsd to play nice with the new external modem.  Then
on to some Python development...

Regards,
_Seamus