Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:29:03 -0500
From:      Eric McCoy <emccoy@haystacks.org>
To:        daniel quinn <freebsd@danielquinn.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw and nmap

daniel quinn wrote:
> i've been experimenting with ipfw since moving some of my machines from linux
> to freebsd and i've run across an oddity wrt nmap and freebsd firewalls.  it
> doesn't seem to work and the activity isn't logged either.
>
> the firewall is working though.  ssh goes through, while other ports are being
> blocked (and logged).  i've confirmed this with telnet.  but nmap still comes
> up empty.  i'd like to be able to do a proper portscan, but is this a feature
> with ipfw or a lack of feature in nmap?

I am not entirely sure what problems you are seeing.  It sounds like you
are saying that the firewall works properly, and nmap correctly
identifies open/closed/filtered ports, but you are getting nothing in
your ipfw log indicating that a scan is happening.  Is that correct?

If so, the "problem" is that nmap has a variety of scans which are
designed not to be caught by firewall logs.  If you try a TCP connect()
port scan (-sT I think) it will show up in the firewall's logs.

If you want to catch all manner of port scans, you will have to use
something like Snort.