Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2016 02:24:12 +0200
From:      Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCPv6 Support in FreeBSD Base

On 2016-06-10 23:27, David Bright wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2016, at 13:06, Mel Pilgrim
> <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com<mailto:list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>>
> wrote:
>
> Could the WIDE client be used instead?  Unlike the ISC client, it will
> configure downstream interfaces from PD prefixes without needing an
> external script.  It also completely avoids the problem of trying to
> update the in-base dhclient.
>
> The ISC client isn’t the only choice. I chose to work with the ISC
> client in my work because the current FreeBSD dhclient shares a common
> ancestry with the current ISC dhclient and also because the ISC
> dhclient implements pseudo interfaces, which is a feature that I need
> for my application.
>
> Is the WIDE client still maintained? When I looked, the most recent
> release I found was from 2008. Perhaps you have a link to a more
> recent version of the WIDE client.
>
> Thanks.
> David A. Bright

The dhcpcd seems like another good choice.

   http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/index

It is licensed under the 2 clause BSD license,
supports BSD, is being actively developed,
is in ports: net/dhcpcd

Seems to be the only one to support RFC 7217
   (Opaque Interface Identifiers with SLAAC = Stable Private Addresses)
which currently lacks support on FreeBSD as far as I can tell
(but does work on newer linux).

Some of the notable features:

IPv6 Router Soliciation including optional address and route management
IPv6 Router Advertisement Options for DNS Configuration
IPv6 Stable Private Addresses
Seamless quad stack of DHCPv4, IPv4LL, IPv6RS, DHCPv6
Small runtime, 200k on amd64 NetBSD

   Mark