Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:20:38 +0100
From:      Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.eei.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Mounting filesystems over SLIP interface

Hello,

my question is about mounting filesystems over SLIP interface:

The situation:
I have an old notebook, running FreeBSD 4.4 on it. It only has a serial
interface to "network" with it. So I got a serial cable from scrap and modified
it for serial communication.
On my server and on the notebook, I introduced a serial network interface (sl0),
made a slattach for both with the same parameters and booted the systems. BTW,
the server has also an TP interface, connected to a small home network via a
hub. And, wow, I can telnet the notebook from server and vice versa, ftp and ssh
works fine, too. Pinging and tracerouting is also possible! So hardware seems to
be OK, software adjustments, too!

The problem:
Now I want to mount the filesystems /usr/src, /usr/ports and /usr/obj from the
server via nfs to enable port installation and system/kernel building. That
works from all the other machines at the hub without any problems. So I added
the notebook to the allowed hosts in '/etc/exports', but when I try to mount the
filesystems, I got a RPC timer out at the notebook.
When I dump the serial interface, first everything seems to go well, but the
fifth packet says: notebook udp port 1020 (number changes!) unreachable! BTW,
gateway function of the server is enabled!

Any Ideas????

Thanks,
Thomas