Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 09:11:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Meyers <meyers@pcnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Promise EIDE 4030Plus

I've recently tried to install FreeBSD from a Wallnut creek CD, as well
as the latest boot image from your sites, and I have had a serious
problem.. I have 2 large EIDE drives on the first port of a Promise EIDE
4030Plus caching controller which are used for DOS and Windows.  I don't
want to touch them so I put a smaller WD 440 meg drive jumpered as a
single on the second EIDE port.  (The controller offers 3, 2 EIDE ports,
and 1 ATAPI comoatable IDE port).  DOS needs a special driver that comes
with the disk to recognise drives 3 and 4.  I was hopeing FreeBSD
wouldn't, but your install program isn't picking the 3rd drive up.  The
card came with the drivers for SCO and ATT unix, but I doubt that can do
me any good..  Even when the kernel boots, it is unable to find wdc0,
although it does find wd0 (and it's 2 drives)..  Remember one thing, BIOS
only support 2 drives here, but the controller has its own BIOS setup at
boot and maintaines its own drive table.  There is no hardware problem as
dos sees the drive (w/the driver) but FreeBSD does not.  BTW, the 2nd
controller lives at the standard place - IRQ15.  Ideas on how to get it
to work?

John