Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 17:14:07 +0000
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cam.grad.ipri.kiev.ua>
To:        wghhicks@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD slogan/advert ideas

Jerry Hicks wrote:

> Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
> ?
> ?   In reality, FreeBSD can not be concurentable ws NT,   we have few big
> ? problems:
> At our shop, in reality, we get more *done* on our FreeBSD boxes.
>
> ?      1. bad java support
> ?         1. biss-awt won't work (on 2.2-stable)
> ?         2. port of latest jdk from sun is absent.
> Java is another infantile disorder (see Dijkstra).  It's also from Sun.
> For the first time in history, the entire computing industry is
> preparing to embrace a proprietary, unstandardized, unverifiable,
> incomplete language.  Blech.
>
> If Sun chose to make the regression test suites public (they aren't),
> then perhaps the library support would be better for all platforms, not
> just FreeBSD.
>
> Have you ever seen the Java source distribution?  Licensing terms?
> Double-blech.

  Good. but exist reality.  In reality, I must use corporate database,
   and have ability to run/ *quickly* develop clients with graphical
   interface.

   Java is a goot tool, as Delphi for Windows.

  (I'm not Java patriot, or Delphi patriot, but
   as IT manager I can not choose something else)

   (Tk-perl with connect to internal Oracle client,
    running on top of SCO emulator ???)

> ?      2. We have not GUI admin interface for FreeBSD,
> ?         so newbaies will preffer other systems.
> Wahhh, write one. ;)

  May be ;) (time;;))

> ?      3. near 80% of using computers is databases.
> ?         we have not port of client software for well-known
> ?         commerce databases (Oracle, Sysbase, Informix)
> 80%? What is your source for that figure?  Faircom has an excellent
> well-known commercial database running on FreeBSD, more appropriate for
> many applications than those you mentioned.  Source available too.

    Thanks.