Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 2021 12:49:50 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GitHub: size of remote file is not known

--zefa6okrjtm7kasy

On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 08:04:32PM -0800, Chris wrote:
> I don't use Github. So I'm not familiar with their service(s).
> But ports using source fetched from them always return:
> size of remote file is not known
> Is it that their servers simply refuse to return size/content-length
> or is this something else?
> I can see where this might turn into a problem for those attempting
> to build ports on a system with limited resources -- especially
> during a meta-port build, and even more so for newcomers.
>=20
> Is anyone familiar with why this is so? I'd like to change this.

USE_GITHUB is using a GitHub (and a git) feature to have git-archive(1)
files generated and served on the fly.  So, the server has no idea how
small or large the file will be, as it does not exist yet, so it cannot
report the size to the http client.

Once one is generated it gets cached for a while, so if the file has
been requested not too far back, the server will have it cached and will
know the size, but it only happens for files that are requested
frequently.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold

--zefa6okrjtm7kasy