Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 95 18:50:54 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de, sakr@itp.ac.ru, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with Compaq Prosignia 300

> > According to someone who had this problem as well and discovered what
> > it was and posted to the list, the problem is that the Compaq is in
> > 2.0 mode and FreeBSD only understands 1.x PCI.
> >
> > Apparently, you can force it to 1.x mode, and this is what NetBSD has
> > that FreeBSD does not in this area.
>
> Gee Terry, as one who is pushing VM86 bios calls all the time I am
> surprized you did not come up with the real correct solution and
> that is to call the PCI BIOS32 interface (yes, *all* PCI spec 1.x
> and 2.x compliant machines *must* implement this).  We don't even
> need VM86 to do it since these are protected mode safe BIOS calls.
>
> We do have to make sure we save the BIOS data areas though, but
> that is pretty easy to fix.

8-).

-----

"PCI BIOS SPECIFICATION Revision 2.1, August 26 1994"

3.3.1.  Determining the existance of BIOS32 Service Directory
If the data structure is found, the BIOS32 Service Directory can be
accessed through the entry point provided in the data structure.  If
the data structure is not found, then the BIOS32 Service Directory
(and also the PCI BIOS) is not supported by the platform.

-----

If it's there, yeah, it should be done that way.

The other issue is that of non-Intel PCI systems, like the DEC
Alpha 21066/21066A PCI boxes and the Motorolla and IBM PReP compliant
PCI boxes, which can't execute x86 BIOS at all.

The soon-to-be-shipped Apple PowerMac boxes also fall into this
category (hopefully the will be CHRP compliant when that comes out).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.