Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:05:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Harshbarger <mharsh@fsr.net>
To:        Thomas Keusch <thomas@visionaire.ping.de>
Subject:   Re: qpopper 2.53 + stale lockfiles

I ran into this last December. If you compile qpopper out of the ports
collection and don't want these .userid.pop temp files lying around,
here are the files that you need to look at:

INSTALL, section 7.2 (included in the qopper distribution):
  h) KEEP_TEMP_DROP - Keep the .user.pop file.  It
 can determine the last time a user has accessed
 his/her mail.

Makefile (the ports Makefile, not the qpopper Makefile):
O_DEFS          =       -DSETPROCTITLE -DKEEP_TEMP_DROP -DBSD44_DBM
-DBIND43  -DBULLDB -DNONAUTHFILE='"/etc/ftpusers"' -DSKEY

Just remove '-DKEEP_TEMP_DROP' from the ports Makefile, make deinstall,
make clean, make install.

FYI, these .userid.pop files are not lock files per se. Qpopper moves
the contents of the user's incoming mail folder into this file. If
the user leaves the mail on the server, then qpopper moves whatever
mail remains back into their incoming mail folder. This can be disk io
intensive if, say, the user has 70 meg of mail waiting for them. Are you
sure you don't want to try cucipop? :)

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Thomas Keusch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed qpopper2.53 on an AMD 386DX40 machine w/ 16mb RAM,
> running FreeBSD 3.2R.
>
> After the mail has been fetched from this host and qpopper is done, it
> doesn't rm the lockfile:
>
> boxx# l /var/mail
> total 8264
> -rw-------  1 thomas   mail        0 Jul  8 11:48 .thomas.pop
> -rw-------  1 annette  users  868808 Jul  8 10:44 annette
> -rw-------  1 thomas   users       0 Jul  8 11:48 thomas
>
> Do other users experience the same problem? Might it be because
> it is such a small box (though it isn't loaded much)?
>
> If mail is fetched again, qpopper does not notice the already existing
> lock, at least there is nothing in the logs and the fetch works fine.
>

> Is this a FreeBSD specific problem (someone told me FreeBSD, or *BSD, has
> some problems with flock())? I had the same version of qpopper running
> on Linux (on the same box) for some months, which worked flawlessly.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>

> thomas.

| __/ __|_ _|   Mike Harshbarger, First Step Internet
| _|\__ \| |       System & Network Administrator
|_| |___/___|     (208) 882-8869  /  1-888-676-6377