Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 00:19:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@zombie.ncsc.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PS/2 mouse & X & 2.2-960612-SNAP

> I've just installed 2.2-960612-SNAP, and can't get the system to
> recognize my PS/2 mouse (so that I can run X).
>
> I've tried searching the mailing list archives, but can't seem to
> find the answer to this problem....
>
> What do I need to do to be able to use a PS/2 mouse?

Look at the 'GENERIC' file and you'll see a line like the following:
device psm0  at isa? disable port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

This is the driver for the PS/2 mouse.  You must 'enable' it at boot
time by using the '-c' (configure) option at the boot prompt.  Once you
get to the configure menu, 'enable' the psm0 driver by typing:
> enable psm0
> quit

And it will attempt to find your PS/2 mouse.  Tell us what happens. ;)

Nate