Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:35:52 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        fjwcash@gmail.com, kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk, wjw@digiware.nl
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS 'read-only' device / pool scan / import?

> the FreeBSD code goes and 'looks' for all the drives anyway at startup -
> i.e. it doesn't have something akin to zfs.cache] - so I kind of didn't see
> the point...

Theres a file /boot/zfs/zpool.cache which is, I think, the equivalent

> I also didn't think you could export a faulted pool :) [or, as the original
> thread started - that once you'd tried to import a faulted pool, the
> on-drive metadata gets change, possibly corrupted - or at the very least it
> makes a note of the fact the missing drives are, 'missing' :)

You can do a forced export - as long as the system doesnt think
the pool is imported then an import will go looking. I made a
similar mess of my drives the first time I changed discs oover, and I
also didnt know about the import/export trick. But since then I
have used iit every time I have got into trouble and it has always
worked for me.

cheers,

-pete.