Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 2009 18:48:01 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trimming the default /boot/device.hints

on 06/02/2009 18:06 John Baldwin said the following:
> On Friday 06 February 2009 10:22:35 am Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 06/02/2009 16:37 John Baldwin said the following:
>>> Yes, it only needs the hint for it to be a console device.
>>>
>> I am slightly confused as to how that hint works then, it's not like a
>> standard isa hint it seems.
>> Can it somehow be built-in (into the code)?
>
> It works "normally" during the new-bus attach, but the low-level console code
> probably checks for it early on as well.  The serial console code works that
> way.  The uart(4) and sio(4) drivers explicitly look for uart/sio hints to
> find possible console devices.  This is separate from when the ISA bus adds
> uart/sio devices from the hints later on.

John,

could it be sc_get_cons_priority function in syscons_isa.c?
It seems that it explicitly searches through hints data and makes some
important decisions based on it. It seems that without any hints at all
it would return CN_DEAD.

Maybe that code could be smarter and return something correct without
relying that much on hints. It really doesn't seem like the hints should
be so critical there (e.g. see ifdef XBOX there).

--
Andriy Gapon