Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 10:51:54 -0800
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   chroot and permissions problem

I have submitted to the proftpd list now and still haven't gotten any
response, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.  I know it might
be a tad off-topic, but not completely since it seems to be something to do
with a permissions problem somewhere.

I just upgraded to proftpd-pre9 which seems to have broken my chroot scheme
that was working fine before with pre2.... I hope someone can help... For
each user, I have an ftponly shell that they get assigned to when the
account is set up and they are chrooted in the password file like thus...
ambooks:pass.:6101:6101::0:0:Bookmaster:/www/domain/htdocs/books/america/./:
/bin/ftponly

This keeps the ambooks user in his directory and not allow them to cd up...
which is working fine.  ambooks is a member of the group books.  However,
what's not working is the permissions on files and such for the user books
- this user is chrooted to /www/domain/htdocs/books/   (one level above the
user ambooks) and should be able to add, edit, delete files for them or
anyone who is a member of books, such as ambooks.  This worked in pre2 but
not in pre9 - now I get a permission denied error when user books tries to
overwrite a file owned by user:group   ambooks:books

In my /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf file I have these pertinent entries:

DefaultRoot ~ ftponly
DefaultRoot ~ books

<Directory />
AllowOverwrite          on
</Directory>

In my /etc/group file, I have this entry
books:*:6100:ambooks,books

books is both a user and a group

I'm not running virtual hosts, and there are a number of DefaultRoot
directives (21) which worked prior to the pre9 upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas of why the user books would get a permission denied
error trying to overwrite or upload files belonging to user:group
ambooks:books

Jerry