Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:32:32 -0800
From:      Kurt Bigler <kkb@breathhost.net>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: website suggestions re ports and packages

on 2/24/03 9:18 AM, Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 04:13  PM, Kurt Bigler wrote:
>
> [snip...]
>
>> If anyone knows where that page is that compares and contrasts ports
>> and packages, I would appreciate a direct reply with the url, since I
>> am not a member of this mailing list.
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/index.html has a search utility where you
> can search for ports and packages, as well as a bunch of links to other
> related items, and a list of all the ports/packages.

Thanks.  I eventually found that page again.

For the website maintainers, I have some updated observations from my
browsing experience.

When I first went browsing, I immediately saw the "Run a huge number of
applications" title.  The text there contained an applications link, which
took me to:

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/applications.html

Fairly prominent on that pages is a paragraph with two embedded links
    packages collection
and
    ports collection

I clicked on packages collection which is what I was most interested in.
This took me to http://www.FreeBSD.org/where.html, a page with two sections
entitled

    The Packages collection

and

    The Ports collection

and the information there makes it sound as if the two collections are
mutually exclusive.  But the information there was also incomplete based on
my memory of having once read a more verbose description comparing and
contrasing packages and ports, which led me to writing my previous email.

I certainly never expected to find more information about BOTH packages and
ports by going back to the home page and clicking on the Ported Applications
link, although I eventually did this by mistake, and it turns out that that
page

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/index.html

contains more information about both ports and packages, and also described
that packages are kind of special case of ports.  And this was the page I
had been looking for, well-hidden right out in the open given that I was
more interested in packages and so keep steering away from "ports".

Curiously there is no link to this very helpful page under "The Ports
collection" heading on the where.html page.

I think you can see how an attempt to find information can be thwarted by
the current structure.  Basically instead of having little tutorial-like
sections scattered around in a fairly unstructured and semi-redundant way,
it would be good if the actual structure of the information were made more
explicit.  For example instead of having two pages that introduce both
packages and ports with related kinds of description but containing
different information (and in fact conflicting points of view), it would be
better to have one single place that introduces both packages and ports.
This page should ideally be hard to avoid in any browsing for information on
either topic.

Please let me know if further clarification would be helpful.  (Again,
please email directly since I am not currently a list member.)

Thanks,
Kurt Bigler