Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:00:35 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai" <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "ml1@geocities.co.jp" <ml1@geocities.co.jp>
Subject:   RE: Server Spec

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:48:27 +0100 (CET), Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

>> It does, but only for the 300MHz part.  There's another CPU speed (333
>> MHz) that also has cache, but no "A" to identify it as such.  The 300A
>> can be overclocked into the 400MHz range (until Intel locks the clock
>> on newer parts).
>
>I thought they had a small chip in there that went against that?

SOME Intel parts are clock-locked and some are not.  Check with Intel
for the latest scoop...

>> The 300A has better overclock ability than the 333. See Tom's hardware
>> page regarding that. I generally don't advocate overclocking, but it
>> WOULD be cool to try it at home with a non-production FreeBSD machine.
>
>This 166 MMX here is running at 200 ;) but then again, ye will run against I/O
>saturation long between saturating yer CPU.
>
>> If I remember correctly, the Celeron WITH cache, runs it's cache at the
>> CPU speed, whereas the PII runs it's cache at half the CPU speed.  The
>> Celeron is FREAKIN' CHEAP !!!
>
>The Xeon runs at full speed too...

Yea, but I refuse to sell my car or mortgage a house to buy a freakin'
CPU !!  I like to stick with the best price/performance ratios, and
currently that's between Celeron WITH cache and AMD K6-2.

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.