Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:45:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Zachary Maas <zac@dodgecity.hpi.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   frontpage encrypting password problem?

[ Thu Mar 12 11:50:24 1998 ] access to /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.exe
failed for pointzero.hpi.net, reason: user hpi: password mismatch

The above 'password mismatch' is not allowing me to use microsoft
frontpage to work on the site in question even though i know that i am
using the exact same password that i set with fpsrvadm.exe utility for the
site. The machine the extensions are on is FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE running
the apache-fp port. I have double/triple checked the permissions and
everything is in order in this regard.

After checking all the permissions i thought to myself 'its a password
problem?' and then checked the service.pwd file which is under the
_vti_pvt directory of the site the extensions are installed on.  This file
contains usernames and encrypted passwords for users/authors/etc of the
site what these users can do is defined in the service.grp file but i will
not get into that :)  Here is an entry from the site in question that was
created using the fpsrvadm.exe utility :

hpi:ocuON2lNk4pNQ

Upon seeing this i noticed an obvious difference (length) for this
encrypted password in comparism to those stored in /etc/master.passwd and
thought to myself "well why not replace the one in this service.pwd with
an encrypted password from /etc/master.passwd and see what happens".  So
this is exactly what i did with a encrypted password from
/etc/master.passwd that i knew what the plaintext password for it was.
Voila upon trying to use microsoft frontpage after making the change i was
able to get into the site to work on it.

It seems the extensions are not encrypting the password to the way FreeBSD
would like it to.  I previously had this problem before i installed
the apache-fp port and i had hoped the apache-fp would have fixed this
problem in some way.  I am not sure if other people have had this problem
but i hope thay have and if _anyone_ has a work around then please let me
know ASAP! :)))  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Zachary Maas
High Plains Internet

Ps.  I hope this email made some sense, it should for those of you using
frontpage aand fpextensions under unix. (i hope :)