Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 21:55:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Liu <nickliu@value.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I mess up my drive

I tried to upgrade my freesbd 2.2.2 to 2.2.5 and I made a BIG mistake.

I tried the upgrade option and I didn't pay attention to my hard disk
slices.  The naming on my old root is mounted with /dev/sd01a while the
upgrade function changed it to sd0a.  It changes something on the
disk which caused me from loading kernel at all.  After that I attempted
to restart with a fix disk by specifying sd(0,1a)/kernel and
sd(0,a)/kernel but none of them worked.

I am sure some pitiful soul had made the same mistake I did, I know the
slice is still intact (I mounted them successfully) but where do I start
to fix it.

Help and help!  I have lots of important info on the system.