Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Shaun <scopplestone@wiznet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD question

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Shaun wrote:

> Question....
>
> 	I am trying to use NATD to route a subnet of 8 IP addresses using
> redirect_address.  It works going in but when coming out NATD uses port
> translation on the IP address assigned to the NAT box.
>
> For example:
>
> 	The NAT box has a IP address of (say) 192.168.0.10 outside interface,
> inside interface 10.1.1.1
> 	a subnet of 192.168.200.216 -> 223 is routed to the above ip address by
> static routes
>
> 	I have created a natd.conf file containing all the direct translations
> using redirect_address.
> I can telnet into say 192.168.200.217 and get redirected correctly to
> 10.1.1.217, but when 10.1.1.217 telnets out, its address is shown as
> 192.168.0.10 instead of 192.168.200.217.  Which tells me that port
> translation is working instead of nat.
>
> 	Does NATD work with subnets or only full /24's?  I currently have this
> working on another NAT box using a class C.

I'm unsure what you mean, you're giving examples with reserved IP
blocks but yet I get the impression that you want these IPs to be
able to get past natd unmolested, (that you really are not using
reserved IPs) I think the simplest way to accomplish this would be
to add the -unregistered_only flag to natd, or insert an ipfw rule
before your divert rule giving free access to machines coming from
your internal interface.

-Alfred