Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:29:51 -0700
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pain finding packages

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:48:23AM -0800, Joe Springer wrote:
> Hi.
>=20
> I am very new to FreeBSD with several years of Linux experience. After
> installed FreeSDB for the first time, I wanted to install some
> packages. For example, samba.
>=20
> I found that
>=20
>    pkg_add -r samba=20
>=20
> fails. I need to know specifically the samba version to install it.=20
>=20
> To install, I needed do this:
>    pkg_add -r samba3
>=20
> This is difficult. Do I need to look up every package in advance on
> your website to understand what version I need to install?
>=20
> Isn't there a way to specify "Install the latest version of some
> package that is appropriate to the version of my installed FreeBSD"?

Unfortunately, there isn't -- sometimes.  Some ports (and their
associated packages) will have the name you expect.  Some will not.

The names of binary packages should have the same names as their
respective ports, at least most of the time, as far as I'm aware.  Thus,
if you have the ports tree on your system, you can at least check locally
to see what various software installs will be called.  If not, you may
have to search online.

I don't use binary packages much, personally, so I'm not exactly an
expert in that regard.  Something I said may turn out to be mistaken.

--=20

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--