Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:12:02 -0400
From:      Chris Conrad <rhavyn@syru205-140.syr.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2 questions

Hi.  I just installed FreeBSD 3.3-Release but cannot get 2 things to work.
I have 2 machines connected to the LAN, the FreeBSD box and a Linux box.  The linux box has 2 nic's and is ip-masq'ing for the FreeBSD box.  The network seems set up properly, I can connected to the outside world with the FreeBSD box with no problems and NFS between the 2 machines works great.

1. NIS.  The linux box is running ypserv-1.3.6 (according to the rpm -q output).  It can bind to itself.  The problem is that the FreeBSD box will not connected to the ypserv on the linux box.  I have tried letting it use broadcasts, using -S to specify the machine and have tried using only a secure port.  ypbind gives no error message, just returns the prompt.  ypwhich, however just hangs.  Oddly, rpcinfo -p either by itself or rpmcinfo -p localhost also hangs (it seems alot of network apps including telnet and ftp have problems with localhost).  /etc/hosts has localhost, the name of the FreeBSD box and the linux gateway all specified.  rpcinfo -p <hostname> does give output and it says that ypbind is running.  Both systems are using md5 for encryption.  Is there a problem with using an linux NIS server with FreeBSD, or is this a local problem? Any ideas?

2. Is there an identd for FreeBSD that understands ip-masq?

Thanks in advance,
Chris