Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 01:07:51 -0800
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv newbie questions

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 11:01:08PM -0500, Randall Hopper wrote:
>  |When I press the "full screen" button on the remote the image goes
>  |full-screen like it should. But when I press the button a second time
>  |the screen goes black.
> Sounds like a bug in the X server for your card.
> To remove fxtv from the loop, try the attached program.
[snip]
> Did you see a black screen after step #3?

No black screen. Resolution changes as it should.

The xsetvmode program you provided does help a bit... I've placed a
"setvmode 640 480; setvmode 1280 960" command into the script I use to
start fxtv (which also kills then restarts xscreensaver). I can now
press the TVQuit() button on my remote and the setvmode commands get run
and restores the screen properly. Before, I sometimes was left with a
black screen until I did a CTRL-ALT-+/-.

I've also noticed that unless I specify -geometry +0+0 (or put the
window there manually) going full-screen the X viewport is sometimes not
properly aligned with the TV window. That is, a few lines of pixels from
my desktop are visible on the left side of the TV screen. Part of the
fxtv controls (to the top of the volume bar) are also visible at the
top, sometimes. When I press the full-screen button once the controls
are partly visible. When I press it the third time and subsequently the
controls are no longer visible (only the desktop pixels on the left
are). However, if the TV window is on the bottom half of the screen, the
partialy-visible controls don't go away no matter how many times I press
the full-screen button. It seems odd that the top or bottom half of the
screen would matter, but this (mis)behaviour is very consistant. The
window also appears to get moved down some number of pixels.

None of these things happen (except the blank screen on the 2nd/6th/10th
etc. press of the full-screen button) when I specify -geometry +0+0, so
that's what I'm doing unless/until a proper fix is found.

My X server is 3.3.5 with Utah-GLX module (Matrox G200) and WindowMaker
0.61.1. My X header files are only 3.3.3.1 though... Might that make a
difference? It hasn't been a problem before.

There is now. http://sea-to-sky.net/~sreid/fxtvpatch.txt

>  |This device should be able to play cable radio... Can it be done with
>  |Fxtv or is there some other program I should be using?
> See xmradio in the ports collection.  Also:
>      http://www.egd.igd.fhg.de/~runge/xmradio.html

Thanks, works nicely.

> There may be a way for an X app to disable the screen saver, but I'm
> not familiar with it.  Anyone?

There's the "xset s off" command, so there must be some API call which
xset is using. But I don't think that affects xscreensaver. This looks
like a limitation of the xscreensaver package- I can't even see a way to
change the timeout without restarting the xscreensaver server. Oh well,
wrapper script it is then...

#!/bin/sh
xscreensaver-command -exit
xset s off