Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:11:07 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help _please_ "make world" faila

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 11:41:49AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

> SA> Is the enclosed output all that you get? If so, am I right in
> SA> assuming that you do not delete /usr/obj/* before each build? IMHO
> SA> it is pretty much compulsory, esp if you also cvsup in the
> SA> meantime, that is /usr/src changes.
>
> Doesn't make world do that for you?
Hi!

As you could see from the enclosed logs, what it does is that it removes the
immutable flags from the /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp dir (temp build tree) and then rm
-rf-es that directory. Cut'n'paste from my own logs:

root@fonix - 103 # make buildworld

>>> Cleaning up the temporary elf build tree
mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp
chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/
rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp

>>> Making make

For more, see /usr/src/Makefile, /usr/src/Makefile.inc0 and
/usr/src/Makefile.inc1

And IMHO it is on purpose. If the code in /usr/src has not changed since your
last compile much then you can recompile the system real quick (I measured
about 40 mins vs the normal 1 hour 45 mins) if you just made some minor
change to, say some of the utils that are not in the toolchain used to build
the system (or, if you discover that the code is broken for some reason and
you fix it.) In these cases it is enough to say 'make -DNOCLEAN buildworld'
and the work that is once done will not have to be done again, it only
recompiles the part that has changed. But otherwise keeping those now-stale
obj files is not what we want, we want the new source in /usr/src to be
used. Therefore it is highly recommended that you blow /usr/obj/* after
you're finished. As a bonus, you even get some 150Megs of this disk space
back, which is not bad, either.:-)

Regards:
Szilveszter ADAM