Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:05:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Stephen Byan <Stephen.Byan@quantum.com>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, "'freeBSD-scsi@freeBSD.org'" <freeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: disable write caching with softupdates?

> Disks are zoned, so there aren't a constant number of sectors per track. Due
> to defects, the number of sectors per zone varies from sample to sample.
> It's possible that each surface in the drive has a different number of
> cylinders. In future disk generations, the geometry may get warped in
> unpredictable ways.

I agree on this. But I think people would step forth to fix these
assumptions in FFS, in time, if disks started reporting real geometry.
In either case, I think you would still be likely to get _some_ boost.
Layout logic should either be entirely in the FS or entirely in the disk.

> Moreover, to take advantage of the geometry, the file system needs an
> accurate access time model. The constants in this model may vary from sample
> to sample of the same type of drive, and may vary due to environment
> conditions like temperature and power supply voltage. (Many of the access
> time optimization algorithms in the drives do in fact adapt to these
> variations.) The characteristics of the model vary widely between different
> designs of drives.

Many of these parameters can be adapted to in software, if the firmware
will expose the required data.

> If you are referring to the SCSI FUA bit, this is absolutely untrue. All
> Quantum SCSI drives obey this bit. All currently-manufactured drives obey
> this bit. I believe 99% of the drives that claim compliance with the SCSI
> SBC spec do in fact obey the FUA bit on writes. There was a recent case
> where one manufacturer appears to have cheated and ignored this bit, and
> caught quite a bit of abuse for it. Like lost business from major OEMs.

Okay. In this case, my information has been incorrect, and I apologize.

> Without write caching, you pay one disk rotation for each sequential write.
> In workloads with a moderate to high sequential write component, this is an
> extreme penalty. Also, with caching enabled, the disk does a fair amount of
> reordering to optimize the total seek and rotational cost of the writes. You
> give this up when disabling the write cache.

I agree that minimizing rotational cost by caching a single track is good,
if the drive can guarantee the integrity of the data, possibly by
providing an NVRAM buffer for the track.

Marius