Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:03:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: >2GB Bugs still exist in FreeBSD 4.9 ?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Phil Rosenthal wrote:
>
> > I haven't touched the VM_KMEM_SIZE/VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX options, however.
> > Reading the LINT notes, this seems unrelated... Are you sure that's a
> > necessary change?
>
> Honestly, its been so long now that I'm not 100% certain exactly what I
> was addressing with the VM_KMEM_* stuff ... I do alot on our servers with
> unionfs, which tends to require some settings to be increased (ie. vnodes)
> to quite high values ... I *think* I raised KVA_PAGES *because* I needed
> to raise VM_KMEM_SIZE* to accommodate those increases ... but, again, it
> was ages ago ...

Something else you might try, in lieu of these changes, is to drop
maxusers to 128.  This frees up a lot of KVM.  The auto-sizer maxes out at
512MB, and past 1GB the page tables start consuming a non-trivial amount
of memory.

If you need to increase maxfiles or mbufs, you can tweak those manually
using loader and/or sysctl.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org