Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current <current@FreeBSD.org>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: it's time...

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:
>
> > One could stuff it into rc.conf, but this means it's harder to
> > automagically save the state upon shutdown/reboot.  But something like:
>
> Not really. You could do it with grep, awk, sed, or whatever you want,
> easily. The only possible problem would be... Getting it actually run
> at shutdown.

I missed jkh's argument, but as far as I'm concerned, my first
choice for this audio init stuff would be:

* a SysV style script (and then having rc.shutdown call
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/* w/ $1==stop; but that's another thread).

* an rc.audio or rc.multimedia (this could perhaps contain some bt484
related things).

But if it goes into "the" rc.conf, that would mean that whenever it runs
at shutdown, it edits rc.conf; this isn't IMO a real great idea.
Anything automated (even sysinstall) editing rc.conf in any way shape or
form makes me leery because it's so much more error prone.

> It's at http://janus.syracuse.net/~green/rc.audio.patch, not vapor :)

When I wake up today, I'll check that out :^)

- alex

Experience something different
With our new imported dolly
She's lovely, warm, inflatable