Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:13:09 -0500
From:      Sam Baskinger <sbaskinger@lumeta.com>
To:        Mika Nystrom <mika@async.caltech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   [O/T] Re: Memory leak in 1.5.0 JVM

Slightly off topic, here is a link to Sun's Java 1.5.0 garbage collector.

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/vm/gc-ergonomics.html

... and here is the Java 5.0 GC tuning guide...

  http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html

Interesting reading, but I doubt it holds the solution to the bad
behavior your seeing. :(

Sam

Mika Nystrom wrote:
> No, that does seem to fix it, also.  Of course, I have no idea how
> many times slower System.gc() is than thread.start()...
>
> Out-running the garbage collector?  I'm not used to Java, but in
> Modula-3, the garbage collector gets called when you allocate memory,
> is that not how it works in Java?
>
> Hmmm...!
>
> I am testing this code because I am having some trouble with a
> long-running server, which spaws a few new threads every two seconds
> using Quartz, and I can't for the life of me see why its memory
> usage is growing over time (it runs out of its 300 megs after about
> two hours).  But it could be something completely different in that
> program, of course.
>
>     Mika
>
> class Leakq {
>
>   private static class MyThread extends Thread {
>     public void run()
>     {
>
>     }
>   }
>
>   public static void main (String[] args)
>   {
>     for(;;) {
>       Thread  t = new MyThread();
>       t.start();
>       /*try { t.join(); } catch (Exception ex) { ; }*/
>       System.gc();
>     }
>   }
> }
>

> "Samuel R. Baskinger" writes:
>
>> Do you get the same results if you put a System.gc() after your thread spawn? Perhaps you are just out-running the garbage collector. :)
>>
>> I tried this on the diablog-jdk 1.5 on amd64 bsd and it runs quite nicely unmodified.
>>
>> [sam@bob ~]$ java -version
>> java version "1.5.0"
>> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-b01)
>> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b01, mixed mode)
>> [sam@bob ~]$
>>
>> Sam

Sam Baskinger
Software Engineer

Lumeta - Securing the Network in the Face of Change

sbaskinger@lumeta.com
732.357.3545 (office)
732.564.0731 (fax)
Lumeta Corporation