Date:      Tue, 26 May 2015 09:00:36 -0400
From:      "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To:        Johannes Jost Meixner <xmj@FreeBSD.org>, python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipython / numpy / scipy weirdness

--11XhmguvN4E8nOjeAq126cD2tMEKmAW1A

On 5/22/15 9:57 PM, Johannes Jost Meixner wrote:
> Trying my hand at Data SCIENCE (tm) with a combination of ipython
> notebooks and numpy/scipy, I seem to have stumbled upon weirdness we
> already considered fixed:
>=20
> ImportError: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version GCC_4.6.0 required by
> /usr/local/lib/gcc48/libgfortran.so.3 not found
>=20
> Supposedly, we have a commit to show for fixing it in
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=3Drevision&revision=3D369447,
>=20
> and yet... I can't get numpy nor scipy to work *without* the following:=

>=20
[patch]
> % ipython notebook     (new site opens in a browser)
>=20
>   create a notebook
>   write into it, 'import numpy'
>   write into it, 'import scipy
>=20
>   run the notebook (hit the 'play' button)

I am afraid to say that I fail to reproduce this problem.

    % ipython --no-banner

    In [1]: import numpy

    In [2]: import scipy

    In [3]:
    Do you really want to exit ([y]/n)? y
    % pkg info -x "numpy|scipy|ipython"
    py27-ipython-3.1.0
    py27-numpy-1.9.2,1
    py27-scipy-0.15.1_1

I built fresh copies of numpy and scipy [0] for this test. You can see
in the build logs that LDFLAGS already includes

    -Wl,-rpath=3D/usr/local/lib/gcc48

for both ports.

There is some more related background discussion that you may recall
from this list about a year ago [1]. I was not able to reproduce it then
either, but I did report some possibly-helpful diagnostics.

[0]
https://pkg.saltant.net/poudriere/101amd64-default-python27/2015-05-26_08=
h25m36s/build.html
[1] https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2014-May/006937.ht=