Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:05:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        igorr@crosswinds.net
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: softupdates. is it good?

On 30-Aug-00 Igor Roboul wrote:
> Hello,
> I have FreeBSD 4.1-S server with two IDE disks on different controllers.
> First disk contains FreeBSD software and /home, second disk contains
> Samba shared data (lot of files, which are readed and writed but not deleted
> or
> created). Will softupdates give me more performance/stability ? I have good
> performance now, and I have _stable_ system now but ... ???
>
> System: PIII/500 256Mb RAM, 1 UDMA66 disk, 1 UDMA33 disk, 10Mbit network (two
> interfaces), Samba 2.0.7, very few users (10-20, Windows95+DOS accounting
> application)

From personal experience I can say that you will get better performance out of
softupdates, but since you only have very few users you probably will not notice
that performance improvement.

You will not get a more stable system from softupdates. The system will not
become less crash prone with softupdates (on the other hand it probably will not
get more prone to crashes either).

But you will be able to recover from power outages without fsck having to do
much at all as the disks are more clean.

All in all: I can only recommend softupdates, specially if you have reboots due
to power failures. I do not think the better performance will be noticeable in
your case.

I have used softupdates on a P133 with 1 10G SCSI-disk and while shuffling files
around was some 30 percent quicker my users seldom do large file shuffling and
would not have noticed when I turned softupdates on.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE