Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:07:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   No FQDN

I am attempting to configure FreeBSD 2.2.5 for operation without
a FQDN.  I would like to know if this is realistic.  I do not have
a domain name and I don't want to fake one, as I don't believe this
is wise.  I have searched the handbook and mailing list archives,
but I have not seen where this has been specifically addressed.

I am not asking for detailed instructions; By creating an
/etc/service.switch and modifying freebsd.mc, I have managed to
get sendmail(8) to function without DNS and forward mail to my ISP
mailhost (masquerading as my ISP to get the return address right)
without the domain component in my hostname.  I'm not entirely
helpless.

I am plan on running fetchmail, Apache and samba from this host,
for use only by localhost and one other host on my LAN.  Can these
programs be configured to operate properly on a host which lacks
a FQDN?  Again, a clear yes or no is all I ask, with perhaps, your
opinion as to the correct course of action.

Thank you.