Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:29:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Christopher Taylor <chris@thedial.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow uploads...

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Christopher Taylor wrote:

> I have a P-II 266MHz w/ 128M RAM FreeBSD 2.2.8-R machine colocated at my
> ISP with load averages between 0.00 and 0.05. I also have a point to
> point T1 connection to the same ISP. My LAN is a 100Base-T swithed
> Ethernet.
>
> My workstation is a P-III 450MHz w/ 128M RAM and when I upload to my
> coloc'd machine I am averaging about 40kB/s
>
> I have a second workstation on the same Ethernet switch, same hardware
> configuration, running Debian 2.2 and that machine is averaging
> 70-80kB/s on uploads to the same coloc'd box.
>
> When I download from the coloc'd machine, I see the same pitiful
> results, yet if I download off of a fast web server in cyberland, I can
> start to approach the full bandwidth of my T1.
>
> Any ideas?

not without telling us:

the brand of ethernet card.
what hardware that card is hooked up to (switch/hub) how busy that is.
what kind harddrives you have.
what about transfer back and forth between the two machines?
have you enabled any TCP extentions?
what your "systat -iostat" looks like.
how many simultanious http request are you serving?

i can get 11MB/sec on my boxes. :)

-Alfred