Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:01:26 -0700
From:      Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd struggling to keep up - how to fix?

--On Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:49 PM +0100 Stefan Krueger
<stadtkind2@gmx.de> wrote:

<snip>

> PS: I had a spare disk so I tried Linux on the same machine, and
> ntpd is running fine for 2 days without any problems; so I guess it's
> not a hw fault

It is a HW fault.  FreeBSD and Linux are just picking different time
sources, Linux is guessing right, FreeBSD is guessing wrong. AMD actually
has pretty widely known issues with this.  I've had problems mostly in
Solaris/OpenSolaris though, a few with FreeBSD, and only rarely with Linux.
I don't know the details, just that at least the Opteron HPET apparently
isn't reliable.