Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 16:13:17 -0700
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        george@durham.net
Cc:        "'Dave'" <dave@hawk-systems.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blake, Andre and anyone else that cares to comment on virus  scanning. PLEASE!!!

Right...

First... you can install drweb from the ports collection
(/usr/ports/security/drweb and drweb-sendmail). I installed the packages
because it was easier.

Second... and this is a biggy.  If you don't already have sendmail
compiled with milter and you are not prepared to re-make sendmail then
don't bother reading any further. If you are keeping current on sendmail
then you should be an old hand at this.  If not, shame!

Dr.Web installs the daemon (drwebd), the command line scanner (drweb),
and some other utilities to update virus definitions, etc.

Steps are like this.  Install port/package. Configure the drweb.ini
file. Make a small change to /etc/defaults/make.conf. Re-make sendmail.
Edit sendmail.cf. done.

There is a test un-virus that comes with the installation.  And... if
you want, I can send you a pile of klez to run your tests on :) (I have
trapped over 1000 messages that were spam or virus over the last three
days, for example).

The thing that got me confused was the whole 'port' thing.. That is to
say that drwebd listens on a port as does drweb-smf (the sendmail
filter).  So sendmail passes every message to drweb-smf and it passes it
to drwebd to be scanned.  Then if OK, the thing takes a trip back
through and gets dropped into the mailbox in the normal way.  So, when I
set it up I thought that the filter would have to be set to talk to the
daemon on the port specified in the drweb32.ini file.. but I was
wrong!.  Sendmail has to talk to drweb-smf (the filter) on a port as
well... so make sure that when you reconfigure sendmail.cf that you
specify a different port than the one that drwebd is on..... other than
that you'll be OK.

Finally, starting the filter for the first time was a little trying.
There are sooooooo many command line parameters that it needs before it
will start up.  If you get one wrong it won't start but it also will not
tell you why.... arrrg.  The startup script that it puts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d was no help either... So I ended up putting a value
for every parameter then taking out the ones that didn't make sense
until it broke.

Have fun... although it was a bit of a bugger, it was well worth the
effort.

Peace,
Blake