Date:      04 Aug 1998 13:58:23 +0200
From:      Benedikt Stockebrand <benedikt@devnull.ruhr.de>
To:        Steve Roskowski <rosko@mpath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install friendly?

Steve Roskowski <rosko@mpath.com> writes:

> first - as a "new" user of FreeBSD, the install procedure drove me
> absolutely nuts.  After 8 hours, I handed it over to a professional.  2
> days, 8 reinstalls of Windows98 & FreeBSD and now it works.  More on this
> later if it matters.

Sounds more like SCO Open Server or UnixWare than FreeBSD to me :-)

Anyway, it _always_ helps to have someone with a little more
experience around to help getting started, no matter what OS.

> Second - the system does not recogonize my IDE ZIP drive.  It is the slave
> on the second built in IDE controller, with the first controller supporting
> an HD and CDROM.  The master slot on the second IDE bus is vacant.

Do you have any reason for this setup?  AFAIK it isn't *meant* to work
this way.

Unless you have really good reason to set things up like that you
should consider making the ZIP drive master, or swapping ZIP drive and
CDROM and making the CDROM master.

If you really need it set up like this you may want to consider
building a custom kernel.

> - on the install, some details
> system has an IDE HD on the built in controller and an Adapted PCI card
> with a 4 gig drive.  The target configuration was Win95 on the IDE and
> FreeBSD on SCSI.  Apparently after many many attempts this is not possible.
>  Although all of the tools blindly let you proceed, when FreeBSD tries to
> boot it panics, unable to find root, and promptly writes a boot record into
> the bottom of the Win95 drive, corrupting it.  The entire system is then
> dead, forcing a complete reinstall.

I'm not particularly into IDE devices but this *should* work provided
you've got a decent MBR/primary boot loader.

Anyway, if you can't help it a boot floppy could help at least to get
things started.  That's not exactly a long-term solution, though.

> The system now works with a small root partition on the IDE drive for
> FreeBSD along with Win95, and the usr partition on SCSI.  Acceptable, but I
> sure wish the docs or the tools would have saved me 3 days.

Well, as far as your IDE setup is concerned, that's not exactly
something that belongs into the FreeBSD docs.

I don't know about booting off the second disk, but that sounds like a
problem with your boot manager rather than FreeBSD, too.  BTW, which
boot manager do you use?

So long,

    Ben

--
Ben(edikt)? Stockebrand    Un*x SA
My name and email address are not to be added to any list used for advertising