Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2018 06:53:59 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject:   Re: colord hints needed

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 22:33:45 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
> Can anyone who is using colord point me at what it takes to get it running?

I am not using it, but it is running, even without X.
There is no entry in /etc/rc.conf which I think is
directly related to it. I have no idea where it came
from and why it is running on my system.

	% ps ax | grep colord
	  932  -  I     0:00,29 /usr/local/libexec/colord

The command "colormgr get-devices" prints a list of
entries related to printers installed on that system.

I tried to find out more about it:

	% man colord
	No manual entry for colord
	% man colormgr
	No manual entry for colormgr

Great.

There's also nothing under /usr/local/share/doc which might
answer this question. But at least the package description
helps a little: "Manage color profiles to accurately color
input/output devices", and from the dependency list I assume
it has been introduced by CUPS. You know, for printing. In
color. On my old b/w HP Laserjet 4000DN. ;-)

So... when you have CUPS on your system, and colord is somehow
related to printing, try setting

	cupsd_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf and see if it works - that's the only kind
of connection I can find.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany