Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:10:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        "James A. Abercromby II" <j.abercromby@pn.nettuno.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, "Craig W. Shaver" <craig@progroup.com>, avi890k1@pn.nettuno.it
Subject:   Re: Printer Support

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, James A. Abercromby II wrote:

> My gool ol Canon BJC-210 is finally starting to crap out on me and I
> need a new/or refurbished ink/bubblejet print for a cheap price (100-200
>
> bucks) that will be supported under both linux and freebsd.

I have been using the epson 600 (800 series is good to go too) for
graphics work on a freebsd server.  Using ghostscript too.  The printer
was about $179 at Fry's about a year ago.  Should be pleny of these out
there, and they work great.  The cartridges are expensive.

>     I do alot of stuff under LaTeX/TeX, postscript/ghostscript etc. etc.
>
>     I read the Linux Hardware HOWTO/FreeBSD Handbook on printer support
> and they only really say to make sure that it will be supported by
> ghostscript etc. etc.

Do a search on the epson printers and you should be able to track down
specifics for epson and ghostscript.  I forget where I got my info, but I
think it was related to a ghostscript thread in one of the ghostscript
docos.

>     Unfortunately the only printers that seem to be listed in the Linux
> Hardware HOWTO were older models that are hard to find now-not much
> seems to available (I wonder if the author writing the howto is still
> showing out of date info.  At any rate the Freebsd handbook didn't
> really list any printers.

Linux Sux!  ;)

FreeBSD does not care.  They really only care if it is parallel or serial
or usb or networked.

>     On the FreeBSD side I will check out the FreeBSD FAQ next.
>

>     If anyone could point me in the right
> direction/experience/insight/info I would be greatly appreciative
>
> I already went to www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/ and it lists
> alot of printers for that work inkjet wise
> but.... quess what...the best printer there is BJC-210
> you really can't buy this anywhere brand new...
> but found some on ebay
>
> I want to hear first hand FreeBSD experience with what printers people
> are using now.
>
> Please reply to:
> avi890k1@pn.nettuno.it
> james.abercromby@aviano.af.mil

---
Craig Shaver, Productivity Group
POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088 (650)390-0654
http://www.progroup.com/ mailto:craig@progroup.com