Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:10:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        Edwin Rudolph <stu12915@westga.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console messages and Telnet login message

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Edwin Rudolph wrote:

%
% Two questions:
%
% 1:
% What controls all the messages that are displayed on the console (i.e.,
% root login, failed logins, etc.) and is there a way to redirect that
% somewhere or turn it off??

1. syslogd

2. /etc/syslog.conf

%
% 2:
% I've installed FreeBSD a few times on my machine at home and sometimes
% telnet to it from my laptop, or even telnet locally and have never seen
% this before--when it gives me a login prompt, I don't see the usual
%
% FreeBSD/i386 (ttyp0)
%
% login:
%
% but something like this:
%
%  / (ttyp0)
%

One possible option could be that it was turned of via /etc/inetd.conf.
See example below:

telnet stream  tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/tcpd  telnetd -h

- Bill