Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 20:48:18 +0200
From:      Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Purchasing a new laptop...advice?

I am thinking about getting myself a laptop, as I need to be mobile and
online this summer. I'd be buying it within the next month, so I'd like
some advice. I need to be able to run FreeBSD on it (duh!), and I will
be buying it in Europe, after which I'll take it to North America (will
I be running into any power supply trouble? surely...), where I'm
actually moving.

It should be a pretty decent machine, not super high-end but still
competitive. Preferrably decent battery life (how are Transmeta based
laptops doing?), sound, min. screen resolution 1024x768. DVD would be
nice, but won't kill me if I don't get it. Shouldn't cost too much
either, but I guess that's a general requirement :)

I've been looking at http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html to
get an idea, but I'm a bit stumped. I've been thinking Sony VAIO, but
I'm pretty sure those things are on the expensive side. Also, I don't
know much or anything about PCMCIA vs. CardBus (CardBus is 5.x only,
right?), so if someone has any pointers there and to laptop know-how in
general, I'd be grateful.

Please cc me as I'm not on the list.

Thanks.

--