Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:02:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        abial@nask.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help, DEVFS/MFS is broken...

> This is yet another call for help to all those who know the filesystems,
> to help fix this bug before 3.0-R... This is a genuine bug which panics
> system in 100% cases, and makes any system using DEVFS and MFS unusable.
> Below is an excerpt from my earlier posting, including the stack trace.
>
> I tried several times to contact Julian Elischer, but it looks like he
> disappeared in a black hole...
>
> PS. If it's any good, I can open a PR on this...

It's julian@whistle.com, and I saw him Friday, so I don't think
there is any gravitational anomoly invloved... 8-).

The problem is known.

MFS calls specfs directly, which is the wrong thing to do, since
in theory, there will be no specfs in the near future.

I know Julian was working on this a week and a half ago.

The real problem is that the MFS doesn't operate against a "memory
device".

If it did, then the bmap/getpages/putpages entry points could
access the backing memory directly; instead, what happens is
that they call specfs to do "I/O", which calls the strategy
routine, which calls MFS's strategy routine.

I don't know whether he plans to make a "memory device" that
allocates a set number of swappable pages in the kernel virtual
address space (which would be my preference -- then you could just
run FFS on the thing, instead, and then later somone could hack
up some MFS-specific page management so that it didn't double
the pages for clean pages that have been accessed), or if he's
just planning on "doing whatever kludges it takes" to get the
exiting MFS up and running.

In any case, he's aware of the problem, and *has* been working
on it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---