Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:41:08 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI harddrives

Hi Charles!

On 20 Nov 01 at 1:01 you wrote:

> I have read about some Quantum drives from Storagereview.com, but I have
> never used a Quantum drive of any kind, ever, and remember only bad memories
> of fixing systems with those crappy Bigfoot drives.
> How are Quantum's SCSI drives?

During last 5 years or so, I've had a grand total of 3 SCSI drives
die on me. Two of them were Western Digital, one was Quantum. I
don't think I'll be buying any more Quantum SCSI drives soon.
Especially after Quantum was purchased by Maxtor (one of my least
favourite HD manufacturers).

> I was looking at IBM as well, but I have lost trust in them after their
> 75GXP drive, which is roughly as reliable as Windows 95. Are their SCSI
> drives better?

Sure their new IDE drives have horrible track record, but I've had
only good experience with their SCSI drives. I have a total of 15
IBM SCSI drives running in my servers right now and they all hum
along just fine - the oldest are going their third year, the newest
are from this year.

I guess if I had to buy SCSI hard disk today, I'd still choose IBM.
The production processes of IDE and SCSI disks should be distinct
enough so that the SCSI drives don't get "infected" with the
problems of current IDE drives. That's just my guess, though, so
please take it for what it's worth.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I am Pentium of Borg! Division is futile! You will be approximated!