Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:37:49 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        David Richardson <dlr@davids.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JRun during rc.d

> I have Jrun (a servlet engine) running under my FreeBSD 3.2 w/ jdk 1.1.8
> (jdk1.1.8_ELF.V99-7-19.tar.gz ). It runs great. so I add the startup
> commands to a shell script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. If I run this command
> from the my login shell all works.
>
> But, when I restart the machine, the program appears to start (i.e., all
> of the same messages are displayed on the console). By the time I logon,
> the program has stopped.

It's possible that somehow there is a GUI component in the setup that
needs to be initialized, but is never displayed.  Because of the way I
build the releases and the way the JDK is designed, the 'DISPLAY'
environment must be set if any AWT/Swing components are used, even if
they are never displayed.

It's possible that somehow the JRun setup is using an AWT component, and
since the DISPLAY environment is not set in the rc.d scripts, the
startup fails since there is nowhere to display anything.

Again, even if they are not used, the JDK *thinks* that if an AWT
component is used, it must be displayed.

However, it may be something completely different.  Is there any chance
you can get the output of the startup logged to a script somewhere to
see what's happening?

Nate