Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:08:45 +0000
From:      Paul Bucher <paul@busybsoftware.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 5805 as a guest on ESXi 5.5 - problem

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013, at 13:54, kaczorem wrote:

 Hi,
>=20
> I've installed a FreeBSD (stable 9.2) as a guest on ESXi 5.5. I've added
> Adaptec Controller via passthrough. Unfortunately FreeBSD does not show
> hard
> drives. Any clue?

 It=B9s a problem with the FreeBSD driver. I=B9ve been running FreeNAS for
over a year now in this exact setup. I=B9ve been using the 9.0 FreeBSD
driver from the Adaptec update site along with the newest firmware, I was
using the b30034 version of the driver(you might need to pick a newer card
on the support site to get your hands on that version of the driver). I
recently updated to FreeNAS 9.2RC2 and it broke the binary driver and I
had to compile the source for the adaptec site to get a working driver
again. It does spit out a bunch of CAM errors during boot up but I=B9ve bee=
using it in production for over a year now without issue. I do highly
recommend switching to a LSI card if you can, I don=B9t have an option on
the box I=B9m using.=20

Also do read that thread about using FreeNAS in a virtual environment.
Just make sure you follow the suggestions that make sense for your
environment.