Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 08:50:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password scheme preservation/setting in 4.0-s

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> >From owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG  Mon May 15 22:04:26 2000
> >Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:01:58 -0400 (EDT)
> >From: "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
> >Subject: Re: Password scheme preservation/setting in 4.0-s
> >
> >On Mon, 15 May 2000, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a way to preserve the password "scheme" (MD5 vs DES)
> >> across buildworld/installworld in 4.0-STABLE?
> >>
> >> It appears that perhaps installworld re-set the symlinks on the
> >> crypto runtime libraries to DES even though I "manually" set
> >> them to MD5.
> >
> >See /etc/default/make.conf, in particular:
> >
> >#NODESCRYPTLINKS=true   # do not replace libcrypt -> libscrypt links
>
> Cool, thanks; I thought I'd looked there...  (Seems like I
> looked everyplace else...  :)
>
> What effect does this have on {build,install}world?
>
> For example, does this "force" the *crypt links to *scrypt or
> does it just "leave things as they are," whatever they might be?

Yes, it forces the links to libscrypt* instead of libdescrypt*

> How does this "#define" relate to previous versions of FreeBSD
> if we didn't install the DES crypto distribution?  With 4.x, I
> have to install the crypto to get OpenSSH & that sets things up
> to use DES instead of MD5.  I've previously written that it
> would be nice if we could select crypto using MD5...  :)
>
> My "guess" is that the default sysinstall sets up the links into
> libscrypt* & if DES is "selected" then the links get set to the
> libdescrypt* libraries.

I don't quite understand the question.  You are correct in that the DES
dist. is required for the crypto in 4.x, which sets up the libcrypt links
to libdescrypt*.  And yes, it would be nice to have the ability to select
the default crypto mechanism (patches are gladly accepted).

> Hmmm...  Does that mean that make "tests" someplace for
> existence of the DES libraries & handles this automagically?

Yep, from /usr/src/Makefile.inc1:

.if exists(${.CURDIR}/secure) && !defined(NOCRYPT) && !defined(NOSECURE)
SUBDIR+= secure
.endif

among other places.

-----