Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:13:12 -0800
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Shaun <senmonk@ncweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating User Accounts from Linux to FreeBSD

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 05:41:33PM -0500, Shaun wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> 	I have been searching through all sides of the internet trying to find
> information on how to migrate the accounts. I have been to several list
> archives, google, the hand book  and everything but haven't been able to
> find anything too helpful.
>
> I am trying to move user accounts from a LinuxPPC 2000 box to a FreeBSD
> 4.5. The problem on the linux box is that the pwdunconv program doesnt seem
> to work. The box is a bit crippled. (its an iMac, i know i know... not my
> choice.) Does anyone know how I could resolve this problem?

There should be a file, /etc/passwd, or /etc/shadow or something, that
looks similar to /etc/master.passwd on a FreeBSD box.  If you carefully
incorporate the contents, noting that you match up the right
colon-seperated fields on each line, and run pwd_mkdb -p
/etc/master.passwd on the FreeBSD box, you should be left happy.

Good luck.

-danny