Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:20:04 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:
> >
> >>We can take this off list if need be, but I'd like to hear from anyone
> >>interested in doing this.
> >

> > I've been talking to Eric Moore about my more 'immediate' concerns with
> > -STABLE ... I'm going to address that this weekend (changes in the AMR
> > driver) and if I can, will get venus back up to -STABLE ...
> >
> > So I'm definitely willing to provide the real-world, high load testing
> > environments, especially if there is going to be some sort of organization
> > for handling resolution of crashes ...
>
> Ok, great.  I think that if we have an organized group of people who are
> "in charge" of doing testing on the OS, we'll have a lot more weight
> when we say there is a bug.
>
> Plus, we can probably get a few developers to be part of the team, and
> aid us in getting things pushed through.

I would recommend that a list is created for this that the ability to post
to it is restricted to a small group of testers and as many developers as
can be convinced to join, and keep the postings to it restricted to *just*
crash related ... basically, we want a list that is focused only on
crashes, not on build related issues ... personally, my issue with booting
the new AMR driver wouldn't even be applicable, but that's a judgement
thing ...

Basically, it should be a *very* low volume list with a *very* small
noise:signal ratio ... so as not to detract from its purpose ...