Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 15:08:25 -0400
From:      Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Has anyone tried a Promise FastTrack UDMA RAID card?

Hi all.
I found a web page for Promise Technology's FastTrack RAID 0, 1, 0+1
controller card (www.promise.com), and I am wondering if it will work on
FreeBSD?  They don't say that it works for FreeBSD, but I am wondering if
it just looks like a normal IDE hard drive to the machine, and that it
would work just using normal IDE drivers.  This card uses EIDE or UltraDMA
harddrives to make its RAID array, so it would be far cheaper than SCSI
array, and probably faster than ccd.

If anyone know whether this would work or not, please let me know.  I
calculated (with prices found on www.pricewatch.com) that a striped 20 GB
array using two IBM DeskStar 10 GB drives and a FastTrack card could be put
together for about $550.  That would rock, definitely.

Seth Leigh
seth@pengar.com