Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:38:03 +0000
From:      setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Capitalisation of program names

Should a program name be capitalised if it appears at the start of a
sentence ?

{I've looked through the archives just in case this is a holy war,
but searching for program, manpage and capital isn't all that useful}

A quick look through /bin shows that these manpages keep the program
name in lowercase:
	realpath
	chio

whilst these uppercase the name if it appears at the start of the
sentence:
	domainname
	ed
	hostname
	mkdir
	pax
	pwd
	rcp
	sync

All other manpages skirt round the issue by saying something like:
	The rm utility...

I'm of the opinion that it should always be lowercased, as .Nm on
it's own produces, and I've got patches for most of the above, but
I'd like to hear what other members of the project think before I
send-pr them.

Thanks,

Ceri

--