Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2010 23:12:47 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracing fatal error - how to

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 10:20:28PM +0000, David Southwell wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 07:13:21PM +0000, David Southwell wrote:
> > > I am getting a fatal error when trying to open a specific page.
> > >
> > > There are no errors in httpd-error.log or php_error.log.
> > >
> > > The server apache-2.2.17_1 is running.
> > >
> > > A php script calling  check.php with the following lines:
> > >
> > > <?PHP
> > >
> > >   phpInfo();
> > >
> > > ?>
> > >
> > > runs fine and does not show any errors.
> > >
> > > How can one show what is causing fatal errors?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for help
> >
> > If there are no errors in httpd-error.log, your PHP debugging log shows
> > no errors, and the check.php script in question isn't returning any
> > errors, then what *is* returning errors?  :-)
> >
> That is the question!!
> > PHP fatal errors are usually software exceptions within the PHP script
> > itself, or possibly the PHP interpreter (missing extension/function,
> > etc.).  If PHP is built as an Apache module (and not as a CGI), then you
> > should see these errors in your httpd-error.log unless you've adjusted
> > certain things in php.ini.
> What things?
> Just got a questionable clue!
>
> Just set up a new gallery for gallery3.
>
> Seems to be having trouble accessing mysql. Given correct user/password
> combination seems unable to use the database.
>
> The page which is generating the fatal error definitely needs access to mysql.

Okay, then the problem you're experiencing is that gallery3 is throwing
PHP fatal errors.  This is what I was trying to discern from my first
paragraph.

> Maybe this is something to do with mysql access?
>
> Using php5-5.3.3_2
>
> Any ideas?

Yes -- you probably need to install databases/php5-mysql so that PHP has
MySQL capability.  If this is already installed, then you need to set up
MySQL authentication and so on.  There should be instructions for this
procedure within the official gallery3 documentation.

You're still not providing any of the error messages or anything you're
seeing.  I'm sorry to sound rude, but this sort of post/information is
pretty unhelpful.

Please note that the "gallery" software has a history of having
extremely bad performance and does not scale well (literally servers
with hundreds of pictures chewing tons and tons and tons of CPU time).
I'm not saying "don't install it", I'm saying "be very careful if you
plan on using this software long-term".  I have no alternate
recommendations for you; I tend to feel Apache's mod_autoindex is
sufficient.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |