Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:26:08 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should cam_imask be part of bio_imask ?

> I strongly doubt that this is a CAM isr problem- the error pattern isn't
> entirely clear from what you said, but it looks more like a FIFO or CACHE
> LINE sized type of problem- it looks to be < 16 bytes, but not a short
> count. Because this isn't one of the wacky systems I spent most of my
> career on at Sun where the first and usual suspect was a system memory
> cache line because IO wasn't cache coherent on Suns between the Sun
> 3/{50,60,75,150} and the advent SuperSparc Viking Chipset, I'd guess a
> FIFO somewhere in the I/O movement path.
>
> Justin- any changes lately where flushing a FIFO in the Adaptec at the end
> of tranfer might have been spoodged?

If you happen to be using an Adaptec SCSI controller on the server,
check your PCI bus latency setting.  We've seen several reports now of
this sort of stuff getting corrupted as a side-effect of the Adaptec
parts being arbitrated off the bus too quickly.  If you're doing lots
of network traffic, the chances are a lot better that you'll hit this.

32 is a value that seems to cause problems; try 80 or so.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org